Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility is the lone facility we identified in Woodside, New York. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is without a doubt an impressive nursing home. This is really as good of a facility as you're going to find. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is as good as it gets in this very important category. Our inspection grades are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to point out the fact that this nursing home was awarded a superb grade of A in our short-term care category. Short-term care scores are meaningful for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is long-term care. This facility was awarded a very positive long-term care grade, with a B+ in the category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.09384 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final category we analyzed was nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of B-. While this proved to be its lowest category grade, this is nevertheless not a terrible score. Our nursing rating consists of a handful of components, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients who have suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 13.6% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Rogosin Institute-Queens0.29 miles away66-20 Queens Boulevard Dialysis Ctr. Woodside New York 11377CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-7505
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center1.13 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Astoria Dialysis Center1.25 miles away34-01 35th Avenue Astoria New York 11106CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 707-9988
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc1.33 miles away29-20 Newtown Ave. Astoria New York 11102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 728-2222
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center1.67 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- True North Dialysis Center Inc.1.84 miles away30-46 Northern Blvd Floor 2 Long Island City New York 11101Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 752-1601
- Usrc South Flushing2.66 miles away71-12 Park Avenue Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 591-4010
- Rogosin Institute2.79 miles away505 East 70th Street Room 252 New York New York 10021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (212) 746-1566