Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility is the lone facility we identified in Woodside, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this looks like a high quality nursing home. In our view, this facility is a good fit for most people. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
61 11 Queens Boulevard,
Woodside NY 11377
88.25% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Woodside, New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Woodside, New York Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is just about as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection grades are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a score of A- for our short-term care score. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.71429 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final category we assessed was nursing, where this facility was awarded a C. While this proved to be its worst category grade, this is still not the end of the world. There are a variety of factors included in this area. Many of these factors reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Queens Boulevard Extended Care Facility, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Rogosin Institute-Queens0.29 miles away66-20 Queens Boulevard Dialysis Ctr. Woodside New York 11377CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-7505
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center1.13 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- Astoria Dialysis Center1.25 miles away34-01 35th Avenue Astoria New York 11106CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 707-9988
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc1.33 miles away29-20 Newtown Ave. Astoria New York 11102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 728-2222
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center1.67 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- True North Dialysis Center Inc.1.84 miles away30-46 Northern Blvd Floor 2 Long Island City New York 11101Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 752-1601
- Usrc South Flushing2.66 miles away71-12 Park Avenue Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 591-4010
- Rogosin Institute2.79 miles away505 East 70th Street Room 252 New York New York 10021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (212) 746-1566