Qualicare Nursing Home is one of six facilities located in Detroit, Michigan. Featuring an overall grade of B-, this appears to be a decent facility. This place has some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's report card is its stellar inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Qualicare Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. In fact, its inspection score was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B-. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Qualicare Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B- in this category. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is long-term care. It received an F in this area, which is a rock bottom score. This is clearly a major disappointment. Facilities that don't score well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated 90.41534 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly less than average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Qualicare Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 3.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 91.02% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.26 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.49 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick1.04 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.23 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.3 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.77 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.45 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.59 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.72 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Highland Park5.23 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700