Qualicare Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home located in Detroit, Michigan. With an overall rating of B-, this looks like a decent facility. Even in a city featuring 23 nursing homes, this one should be a sound selection. The best part of this place's report card is its stellar inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Qualicare Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. In fact, its inspection score was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an B-. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Qualicare Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C in this category. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, we awarded this nursing home a D for our long-term care category. This was the nursing home's worst category rating. Unfortunately, this category hurt the nursing home's overall profile to some degree. Nursing homes that don't fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 81.78914 percent of its patients. This is significantly lower than average. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Qualicare Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 3.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Qualicare Nursing Home, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 2.26 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.49 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.31 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick1.04 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis2.23 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis2.3 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Davita of Detroit - Kresge2.77 miles away4145 Cass Ave Detroit Michigan 48201CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 833-4330
- New Center Dialysis of Davita3.45 miles away7700 2nd Ave Ste 130 Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (313) 870-9473
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.59 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Greenfield Hs - Detroit West Pavilion3.72 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (313) 916-7062
- Davita - Highland Park5.23 miles away64 Victor St Highland Park Michigan 48203Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 852-7700