Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is in Holmes, New York, a city with a total of 3,601 people. This proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. As far as we can see, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another strength of this facility is its impressive grade in long-term care. We gave them one of our best grades in that area, with a grade of A-. For patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 79.55183 percent of its patients, which is slightly below what we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. We gave this nursing home a score of D. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was short-term care, which proved to be this facility's weakest area. Sadly, it received an F for this category, which is obviously very concerning. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It appears that this facility was subpar in two of the key staffing areas we assessed. The facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.6 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Putnam Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Putnam Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away670 Stoneleigh Avenue Carmel New York 10512Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 279-5711
- Danbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away24 Hospital Ave Danbury Connecticut 06810Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 739-7000
- Keller Ach (West Point)Acute Care - Department of Defense 17.5 miles away900 Washington Rd West Point New York 10996Department of Defense(845) 938-4034
- St Luke's Cornwall HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18 miles away70 Dubois Street Newburgh New York 12550Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 561-4400
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.73 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Vassar Brothers Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.44 miles away45 Reade Place Poughkeepsie New York 12601Voluntary non-profit - Private(845) 454-8500
- Davita Celia Dill Dialysis Center7.73 miles away667 Stoneleigh Avenue Suite 123 Carmel New York 10512CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (845) 278-4150
- Fishkill Dialysis Center11.67 miles away60 Merritt Blvd Suite 103 Fishkill New York 12524CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 440-1280
- Danbury Dialysis Center12.94 miles away111 Osborne Street Suite 211 Danbury Connecticut 06810CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (203) 794-1938
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC.15.5 miles away1485 Route 9d Wappingers Falls New York 12590Dialysis Stations: 12 (845) 838-8907
- Housatonic Dialysis15.94 miles away164 Mount Pleasant Rd Newtown Connecticut 06470Dialysis Stations: 10 (203) 270-0081
- Yorktown Akc16.43 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Dsi Dutchess Dialysis17.92 miles away2585 South Road Poughkeepsie New York 12601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (845) 471-6300
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center18.18 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326