Providence Point is a facility located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which has a population of 687,276 people. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the highest graded nursing homes in Pittsburgh. This truly is an impressive achievement since the city features some very good nursing homes. We can't find many bad things to say about this nursing home. Its grades are as good as they get. Scroll down to find this facility's category scores, which are equally impressive. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This first-rate nursing home also performed remarkably in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Providence Point?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
In our last category, we awarded this nursing home an A for our nursing grade. This topped off a first-rate report card. We looked at the skill-level of nurses employed by the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Providence Point Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Providence Point, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Providence Point, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Providence Point, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Providence Point, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Providence Point, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Providence Point, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Providence Point, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Providence Point, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Providence Point, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Providence Point, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Providence Point, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Providence Point, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville3.08 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Davita - Bethel Park3.18 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville3.2 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills3.99 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Total Renal Care Inc6.13 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC6.13 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ohio Valley6.13 miles awayRobinson Plaza, Building #3 Route 60, Suite 110 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15205CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 494-6902
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Three Rivers6.77 miles away1401 Forbes Avenue, Suite 250 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 281-8233