Providence Ojai is a small nursing home located in Ojai, California. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a decent facility. Based on our ratings, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this place's report card is is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its impeccable inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that category, with an A-. This is a much better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the area of short-term care, with a B-. With our short-term care category, we strive to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Providence Ojai?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. There are numerous subcategories within this area. Most of these factors relate to nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area is long-term care, which is the last area we assessed. We gave it an F for this category. Despite several solid grades in other categories, this grade is still alarming so we would like to to make a note of it. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Providence Ojai Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Providence Ojai, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Providence Ojai, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Providence Ojai, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Providence Ojai, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Providence Ojai, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Providence Ojai, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Providence Ojai, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Providence Ojai, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Providence Ojai, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Providence Ojai, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Providence Ojai, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Providence Ojai, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Providence Ojai, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
- Ojai Valley Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 1.42 miles away1306 Maricopa Hwy Ojai California 93023Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 640-2280
- Ventura County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away300 Hillmont Avenue Ventura California 93003Government - Local(805) 652-6075
- Community Memorial Hospital San BuenaventuraAcute Care Hospitals 12.37 miles away147 N Brent St Ventura California 93003Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 652-5011
- St Johns Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.16 miles away1600 N Rose Ave Oxnard California 93030Voluntary non-profit - Private(805) 988-2500
- St Johns Pleasant Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away2309 Antonio Ave Camarillo California 93010Voluntary non-profit - Church(805) 389-5800
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Santa Paula11.91 miles away253 March Street Santa Paula California 93060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (805) 525-3977
- Davita-Dialysis Center of Ventura12.11 miles away2705 Loma Vista Road, Suite 101 Ventura California 93003CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 643-7549
- Fmc-Santa Paula12.52 miles away242 E. Harvard Blvd. Santa Paula California 93060Dialysis Stations: 16 (805) 525-1500
- Fmc-Ventura13.64 miles away4567 Telephone Road, Suite 101 Ventura California 93003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (805) 658-9211
- Fmc-Oxnard17 miles away1801 Holser Walk, Suite 310 Oxnard California 93030CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (805) 988-3339
- Davita-Oxnard Dialysis Center17.13 miles away1900 Outlet Center Dr. Oxnard California 93036CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (805) 278-3961
- Davita-Channel Islands17.74 miles away3541 W 5th Street, ste.A Oxnard California 93030CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (805) 984-5140
- Fmc-Camarillo Dialysis Center19.26 miles away3801 Las Posas Road, Suite 103 Camarillo California 93010Dialysis Stations: 15 (805) 388-2449