Professional Post Acute Center is located in San Rafael, California. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. If you are not happy with this facility's subpar overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are seven other nursing homes in San Rafael. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility received a decent grade in the area of short-term care. We provide more information on this category below.
Professional Post Acute Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. In determining our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing score is largely associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Professional Post Acute Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next best category was long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared relatively poorly. For patients looking for a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is a very solid percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning our last area of inspections, this facility received an F here. For places with bad inspection scores, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more serious deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies identified by inspectors had the potential to pose actual harm to residents. Finally, we also want to point out that this place received significant government fines totaling over $100,000. This typically signifies that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Professional Post Acute Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Professional Post Acute Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Professional Post Acute Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Professional Post Acute Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Professional Post Acute Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Professional Post Acute Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Professional Post Acute Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Professional Post Acute Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Professional Post Acute Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Professional Post Acute Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
In Professional Post Acute Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Professional Post Acute Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Professional Post Acute Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Professional Post Acute Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for San Rafael, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? San Rafael, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.6 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 16.73 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.81 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- Northgate Dialysis Center0.34 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis2.63 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Satellite Dialysis Greenbrae4.87 miles away565 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Greenbrae California 94904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (415) 924-8622
- San Pablo Dialysis Center11.33 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita Richmond Dialysis11.81 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center13.88 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita El Sobrante14.69 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Pacific Dialysis16.41 miles away2351 Clay Street 4th Floor San Francisco California 94115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (415) 440-2852