Professional Post Acute Center is located in San Rafael, California. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in San Rafael. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility received a decent grade in the area of nursing. We provide more information on this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Professional Post Acute Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Professional Post Acute Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on San Rafael senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our nursing rating. There are quite a few factors within this area. Many of the datapoints reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a relatively low total compared to most nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in this area. As it turns out, this wound up being its second best grade. For residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Professional Post Acute Center?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home a rock-bottom F in the area of short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. With a grade in this range in this area, we were not shocked to discover this place was below average in many staffing figures we looked at. The nursing home supplied far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We recommend you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed a category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies identified by inspectors had potential to cause actual harm to patients. On top of having severe deficiencies, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Professional Post Acute Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Professional Post Acute Center, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Professional Post Acute Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Professional Post Acute Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Professional Post Acute Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Professional Post Acute Center, 7.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Professional Post Acute Center, 4.38% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Professional Post Acute Center, 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Professional Post Acute Center, 3.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Professional Post Acute Center, 4.15% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Professional Post Acute Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Professional Post Acute Center, 4.15% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Professional Post Acute Center, 21.69% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Professional Post Acute Center, 95.62% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Rafael, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? San Rafael, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.6 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 16.73 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.81 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 16.93 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- Northgate Dialysis Center0.34 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis2.63 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Satellite Dialysis Greenbrae4.87 miles away565 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Greenbrae California 94904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (415) 924-8622
- San Pablo Dialysis Center11.33 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita Richmond Dialysis11.81 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center13.88 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita El Sobrante14.69 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Pacific Dialysis16.41 miles away2351 Clay Street 4th Floor San Francisco California 94115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (415) 440-2852