Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Melrose Park, Illinois. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this facility is ranked among the better nursing homes we assessed. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the United States. As you will see below, this facility also performed well in our category ratings. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Melrose Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's above average category grades came in the area of short-term care. We gave them one of our stronger scores in that category, with a score of B+. In determining our short-term care scores, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is often a solid measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 96.34146 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home also performed well in our nursing category. We gave it a B+ for this area. This wrapped up a first-rate report card. Our nursing score includes quite a few data points, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 31.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center2.22 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park3.36 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780
- Davita Salt Creek Dialysis3.76 miles away196 W. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 279-3350
- Fmc - Elmhurst Dialysis Center4.16 miles away133 E. Brush Hill Rd. Elmhurst Illinois 60126CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (630) 833-1446
- Loyola Center for Dialysis4.62 miles away1201 W Roosevelt Rd Maywood Illinois 60153CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (708) 531-7050
- Usrc - Villa Park Home Therapies4.78 miles away202 East North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 1 (630) 415-3458
- Fmc - Norridge4.8 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - Westchester5.07 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780