Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Melrose Park, Illinois. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this facility is ranked among the better nursing homes we assessed. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the country. As you can see below, this facility also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home received a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's quality category scores came in the category of short-term care. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that area, with a score of B+. Our short-term care scores are probably most critical for those in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B+. This finished off a very impressive profile. Only a select few facilities earned a B+ or higher in every category. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.18533 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term patients that suffered a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is critical to patients health.
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Elmhurst Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away155 East Brush Hill Road Elmhurst Illinois 60126Proprietary(331) 221-0130
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.75 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Fmc - North Avenue Dialysis Center2.22 miles away911 W. North Avenue Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (708) 344-6122
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park3.36 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780
- Davita Salt Creek Dialysis3.76 miles away196 W. North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 279-3350
- Fmc - Elmhurst Dialysis Center4.16 miles away133 E. Brush Hill Rd. Elmhurst Illinois 60126CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (630) 833-1446
- Loyola Center for Dialysis4.62 miles away1201 W Roosevelt Rd Maywood Illinois 60153CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (708) 531-7050
- Usrc - Villa Park Home Therapies4.78 miles away202 East North Avenue Villa Park Illinois 60181Dialysis Stations: 1 (630) 415-3458
- Fmc - Norridge4.8 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - Westchester5.07 miles away2400 Wolf Road, Suite 101 A Westchester Illinois 60154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (708) 409-7780