Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago is a small hospital-based facility in Chicago, Illinois. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we assessed. Being awarded an A+ in our grading system requires first-rate scores across the board. This proved to be the number one rated nursing home in the city. Finally, this appears to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago
- Nursing Home
Updated Mar 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Chicago, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ short-term care grade. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This nursing home has received near flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, we gave this facility a grade of A for its long-term care score. This is a dominant score. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We weren't able to locate information on vaccination rates. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The fourth area we scored is nursing, where this nursing home was awarded an A. This completed a very strong report card. Few facilities earned an A- or higher in in each area we assessed. Our nursing score is based on several subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as good indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago, 2.8% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago, 65.38% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 79 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.64 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Ann & Robert H Lurie Childrens Hospital of ChicagoChildrens 2.68 miles away225 E Chicago Ave, Box 140 Chicago Illinois 60611Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 227-4000
- Northwestern Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.8 miles away251 E Huron St Chicago Illinois 60611Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 926-2000
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away2233 W Division St Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Church(312) 770-2000
- Fmc - West Willow1.95 miles away1444 W. Willow St. Chicago Illinois 60642Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 772-4079
- Davita - Childrens Dialysis Center2.06 miles away1333 N. Kingsbury Street Chicago Illinois 60642Dialysis Stations: 8 (312) 642-2631
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc2.33 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis2.34 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown2.43 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Northwestern3.05 miles away710 N Fairbanks Ct/Olson Pavillion/Ste # 4 -200 Chicago Illinois 60611CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (312) 274-0202
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis3.09 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.3.34 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100