Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago is a small hospital-based facility in Chicago, Illinois. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we assessed. Being awarded an A+ in our grading system requires first-rate scores across the board. This proved to be one of the top three nursing homes in the city. Finally, this appears to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Chicago, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ short-term care grade. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's government inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago?
Long-term Care Quality
Building on its high-end resume, this facility also was awarded a dominant long-term care grade, with a grade of A. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided information on its vaccination levels. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Switching gears to the fourth area, this facility also performed admirably in our nursing category. We awarded it an A in that area. This rounded out a straight A profile. In calculating a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Presence Saint Joseph Hospital-Chicago, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.64 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Ann & Robert H Lurie Childrens Hospital of ChicagoChildrens 2.68 miles away225 E Chicago Ave, Box 140 Chicago Illinois 60611Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 227-4000
- Northwestern Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.8 miles away251 E Huron St Chicago Illinois 60611Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 926-2000
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away2233 W Division St Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Church(312) 770-2000
- Fmc - West Willow1.95 miles away1444 W. Willow St. Chicago Illinois 60642Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 772-4079
- Davita - Childrens Dialysis Center2.06 miles away1333 N. Kingsbury Street Chicago Illinois 60642Dialysis Stations: 8 (312) 642-2631
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc2.33 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis2.34 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown2.43 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Northwestern3.05 miles away710 N Fairbanks Ct/Olson Pavillion/Ste # 4 -200 Chicago Illinois 60611CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (312) 274-0202
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis3.09 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.3.34 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100