Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Niles, Illinois. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of A-, resulting in it being the number one rated nursing home in Niles. Based on our ratings, this facility is really as good as it gets. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Niles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Niles, Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Niles, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this facility was awarded a first-rate grade of A- in our short-term care area. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. In determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning residents at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is this nursing home's worst category. However, even its worst category would actually be a strength for most facilities. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in long-term care. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the data points we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 31.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 87.05% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Niles, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Niles, Illinois has 4 other nursing homes
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Davita - Norwood Park Dialysis1.47 miles away7435 W Talcott Ave - Outpatient Dialysis Chicago Illinois 60631Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 990-7620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis1.6 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.97 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Niles3.13 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Norridge3.8 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis3.82 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center5 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Des Plaines5.07 miles away1625 Oakton Pl Des Plaines Illinois 60018Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 795-0014