Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Niles, Illinois. Featuring an overall grade of A-, it is the number one rated nursing home in Niles. Based on our ratings, this facility is really as good as it gets. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Niles, Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Niles, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we awarded this facility an A-. There are several datapoints within this category. Many of these factors reflect staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its short-term care grade. This is a first-rate grade. Short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final area, this nursing home also was given a very strong long-term care rating, with a grade of B+. This finished off a very impressive profile. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a dangerous illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who had a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who had UTI's. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 30.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ascension Living Saint Benedict Village, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Niles, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Niles, Illinois has 5 other nursing homes
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Davita - Norwood Park Dialysis1.47 miles away7435 W Talcott Ave - Outpatient Dialysis Chicago Illinois 60631Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 990-7620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis1.6 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.97 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Niles3.13 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Norridge3.8 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis3.82 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center5 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Des Plaines5.07 miles away1625 Oakton Pl Des Plaines Illinois 60018Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 795-0014