Located in Aurora, Illinois, Avantara Aurora is one of seven available facilities in this area. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. This facility turned out to be one of the better facilities in the city. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well overall, this facility received high marks in the area of short-term care as well. As a result, it received our highest grade in that category with an A+. In computing our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is frequently a useful assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Avantara Aurora?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we gave them one of our more positive scores in our long-term care category as well, with a B+. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.337746 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we assessed proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it an acceptable grade of B- for our nursing category. Our nursing rating weighs several subcategories, but the main one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avantara Aurora Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avantara Aurora, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avantara Aurora, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avantara Aurora, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avantara Aurora, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avantara Aurora, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avantara Aurora, 29.8% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avantara Aurora, 87.49% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avantara Aurora, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avantara Aurora, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Avantara Aurora, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avantara Aurora, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avantara Aurora, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avantara Aurora, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Aurora, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Rush Copley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away2000 Ogden Avenue Aurora Illinois 60504Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 978-6200
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Adventist Bolingbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.57 miles away500 Remington Boulevard Bolingbrook Illinois 60440Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 312-5000
- Advocate Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away3815 Highland Avenue Downers Grove Illinois 60515Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 275-5900
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Fmc - Aurora Dialysis Center0.28 miles away455 Mercy Lane Aurora Illinois 60506CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (630) 892-7445
- Fkc - East Aurora2.46 miles away810 North Farnsworth Avenue Aurora Illinois 60505Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 585-1228
- Fox Valley Dialysis Ltd4.97 miles away1300 Waterford Drive Aurora Illinois 60504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (630) 236-1300
- Fmc - West Batavia5.39 miles away2580 West Fabyan Parkway Batavia Illinois 60510Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 406-1690
- Tri Cities Dialysis LLC6.99 miles away306 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 262-1306
- Fmc - Oswego7.39 miles away1051 Station Dr. Oswego Illinois 60543CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (630) 554-4783
- Fmc - Dupage West8.37 miles away450 E Roosevelt Rd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 16 (630) 293-6356
- Fmc - Naperville North Dialysis Center8.86 miles away516 W 5th Ave. Naperville Illinois 60563Dialysis Stations: 21 (630) 753-9295