PIH Health Whittier Hospital is a small hospital-based nursing home in Whittier, California. This nursing home turns out to be an A+ rated facility, which is the best grade that we offer. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top two percent of all facilities in the country. Finally, this turned out to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong grades in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
PIH Health Whittier Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Whittier senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Cardiac Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Whittier, California Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Whittier, California Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Whittier, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. The nursing category assesses quite a few components, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home averages 1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about PIH Health Whittier Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was dominant in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Only a select group of nursing homes performed better in this area. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted vaccination data. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our inspection category, this facility excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. This wrapped up this place's straight A report card. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
PIH Health Whittier Hospital Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In PIH Health Whittier Hospital, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In PIH Health Whittier Hospital, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center0.11 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis1.46 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis1.95 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Whittier Dialysis Center3.23 miles away10055 Whittwood Drive, Suite A Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 947-1808
- Davita-Norwalk Dialysis Center3.6 miles away12375 E. Imperial Highway Norwalk California 90650CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (562) 929-7430
- Whittier Kidney Dialysis Center3.75 miles away16417 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (562) 947-8999
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis4.05 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Davita-Firestone Blvd. Dialysis4.23 miles away11913 Firestone Blvd. Norwalk California 90650Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 863-2127