Waverly Gardens is a small non-profit nursing home located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the top grades we offer. Based on our ratings, you can not go wrong with this place. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which are also impressive. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
5919 Centerville Road,
Saint Paul MN 55127
89.66% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving an elite overall score, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection score. This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can offer a nursing home. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them a dominant score of A+ in this area. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Waverly Gardens?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our third category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. This is a dominant score. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
In the last area, this facility also received an excellent nursing grade, with a grade of B+. This topped off a very strong report card. There are quite a few subcategories included in this grade. Many of the subcategories reflect levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waverly Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waverly Gardens, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waverly Gardens, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients that experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waverly Gardens, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waverly Gardens, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waverly Gardens, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waverly Gardens, 4.16% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waverly Gardens, 94.15% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waverly Gardens, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waverly Gardens, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Waverly Gardens, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waverly Gardens, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waverly Gardens, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waverly Gardens, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Lakeview Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.69 miles away927 West Churchill Street Stillwater Minnesota 55082Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 430-5330
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 13.98 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Fairview Lakes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.09 miles away5200 Fairview Boulevard Wyoming Minnesota 55092Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 389-6481
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 14.44 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.93 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fmc - Maplewood Heights6.3 miles away1725 Legacy Pkwy E Ste 200 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 748-7989
- Arden Hills Dialysis of Davita6.36 miles away3900 Northwoods Dr Ste 110 Saint Paul Minnesota 55112Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 483-3159
- Maplewood Dialysis of Davita7 miles away2785 White Bear Ave, Suite 201 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 779-2222
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville8.62 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton9.16 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- Central Avenue Dialysis9.23 miles away10994 Baltimore St Ne Minneapolis Minnesota 55449Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 786-5026
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis10.06 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc - Blaine Dialysis10.17 miles away12555 Central Ave Ne Minneapolis Minnesota 55434Dialysis Stations: 13 (763) 754-6774