Johanna Shores is in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This city is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the country with has a total of 753,116 people. This facility received an excellent grade of A- overall. This is even better than the city grade of A- in Saint Paul, which is also well above average. Saint Paul has a host of nursing homes, but it is doubtful you will need to look at too many others. This one is a first class option. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
3220 Lake Johanna Boulevard,
Saint Paul MN 55112
76.71% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is that it received an impressive grade in inspections. Inspections ended up being its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a very strong short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being this facility's second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A. With our short-term care category, we strive to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Johanna Shores?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. The nursing score weighs quite a few components, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was long-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of C. While this turned out to be its least impressive category grade, this is still not a terrible score. Our long-term care scores are more critical for people needing more traditional assistance related to activities of daily living. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.46436 percent of its residents, which is better than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Johanna Shores Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Johanna Shores, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Johanna Shores, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients which suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Johanna Shores, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Johanna Shores, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Johanna Shores, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Johanna Shores, 4.16% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Johanna Shores, 94.15% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Johanna Shores, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Johanna Shores, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Johanna Shores, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Johanna Shores, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 7.02 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton0.86 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- Arden Hills Dialysis of Davita1.96 miles away3900 Northwoods Dr Ste 110 Saint Paul Minnesota 55112Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 483-3159
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis3.54 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville4.22 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita4.41 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita4.78 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- East River Road Dialysis5.29 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul5.74 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081