Preferred Care at Mercer is located in Trenton, New Jersey, a city with a population of 230,121 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of A-. This is one of the highest graded facilities in Trenton. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. If you look below, you will see this place's category scores, which are also impressive.
Preferred Care at Mercer
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
1201 Parkway Avenue,
Trenton NJ 08628
87.7% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also would like to point out that this facility has earned excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this category. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is typically a solid measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Preferred Care at Mercer?
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to point out the fact that this nursing home was awarded a first-rate grade of A- in our long-term care area. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home was given a highly favorable nursing rating. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in this area, topping off one of our more impressive report cards. There are a variety of data points included in this grade. Most of these subcategories reflect staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Preferred Care at Mercer Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 6.37% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 89.73% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Preferred Care at Mercer, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Trenton, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Trenton, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Capital Health System-Fuld CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 394-6000
- St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.27 miles away601 Hamilton Ave Trenton New Jersey 08629Voluntary non-profit - Church(609) 599-5000
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.59 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.36 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Doylestown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.44 miles away595 West State St Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 345-2200
- Hunterdon Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.08 miles away2100 Wescott Drive Flemington New Jersey 08822Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 788-6100
- Fmc Ewing0.93 miles away1962 North Olden Avenue Trenton New Jersey 08618CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (609) 671-1600
- Physicians Dialysis Lawrenceville2.97 miles away1840 Princeton Avenue Lawrence Township New Jersey 08648CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 278-0999
- Fmc Trenton3.14 miles away40 Fuld Street 1st Floor Trenton New Jersey 08638CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (609) 394-5104
- H. Fuld Capital Health4.27 miles awayDialysis Unit 750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (609) 394-6000
- Davita Renal Ctr Trenton4.66 miles awayC/O St. Francis Hospital 601 Hamilton Ave 1st Floor Trenton New Jersey 08629Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 393-2388
- Davita Renal Center Hamilton6.29 miles away1013 Whitehorse Avenue Trenton New Jersey 08610Dialysis Stations: 19 (609) 438-3002
- Fmc Hamilton Home LLC6.52 miles away3836 Quakerbridge Road Suite 208 Trenton New Jersey 08619Dialysis Stations: 4 (609) 586-5001
- Dialysis Center at Oxford Court6.68 miles away930 Town Center Drive, Suite G-100 Langhorne Pennsylvania 19047Dialysis Stations: 14 (215) 750-9831