With an address in Barrington, Illinois, Prairieview at the Garlands is the sole option located in the area. It looks like this nursing home is one of the higher-graded facilities we looked at. A score in this range requires very strong scores across the board. This is just about as good of a place as you'll find. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed just fine in our category ratings. It's hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Prairieview at the Garlands
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
6000 Garlands Lane,
Barrington IL 60010
74.5% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Barrington, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Barrington, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Barrington, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. It doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Prairieview at the Garlands?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Very few nursing homes performed better in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 78.57143 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat below what we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last area we looked at proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. However, even its weakest link would likely be a strength for most nursing homes. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in nursing. Nursing scores are largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Prairieview at the Garlands Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 31.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 87.05% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Prairieview at the Garlands, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 10.47 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Davita - Barrington Creek3.25 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center5.28 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center6.59 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.29 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.71 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates7.96 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074
- Fmc - Mundelein9.4 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Davita - Crystal Springs Dialysis9.89 miles away720 Cog Circle Crystal Lake Illinois 60014Dialysis Stations: 16 (815) 459-4945