Located in Frisco, Texas, Prairie Estates is one of just three available nursing homes in this city. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road rating. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Frisco. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in that category with an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This facility received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area is long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this category. For residents seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.76581 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Prairie Estates?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Turning to the final category, this facility was given a C in nursing, which is a respectable score. Nursing grades are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is well below average. Lastly, while this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Prairie Estates Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Prairie Estates, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Prairie Estates, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents that had a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Prairie Estates, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Prairie Estates, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Prairie Estates, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Prairie Estates, 4.66% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Prairie Estates, 94.73% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Prairie Estates, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Prairie Estates, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Prairie Estates, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Prairie Estates, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Prairie Estates, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Prairie Estates, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - CentennialAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away12505 Lebanon Road Frisco Texas 75035Voluntary non-profit - Other(972) 963-3333
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 6.93 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Methodist Mckinney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.2 miles away8000 W Eldorado Pkwy Bldg C Suite C Mckinney Texas 75070Proprietary(214) 491-5710
- Medical Center of LewisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away500 West Main Street Lewisville Texas 75057Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 420-1000
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.1.96 miles away10150 Legacy Drive Frisco Texas 75033Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 365-0766
- Renal Center of Frisco2.94 miles away10850 Frisco St, Suite 300 Frisco Texas 75034Dialysis Stations: 21 (214) 872-2421
- Clough Dialysis, LLC2.95 miles away6116 Sports Village Rd. Frisco Texas 75033Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 362-5763
- Fresenius Medical Care Willow Bend, LLC5.97 miles away6823 Communications Pkwy Bldg A Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 474-0025
- Athios Dialysis, LLC7.24 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891
- Davita West Plano Dialysis7.8 miles away5036 Tennyson Parkway Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 608-1089
- Renal Center of Carrollton9.08 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Renal Center of Plano, LLC9.09 miles away4112 W Spring Creek Parkway Suite D-200 Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 608-7831