Porthaven Healthcare Center is an average-sized facility located in Portland, Oregon. This nursing home received a strong grade of B+ overall. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the facilities in Portland, which has a city grade of B. This nursing home definitely has plenty working in its favor. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Porthaven Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
5330 Ne Prescott Street,
Portland OR 97218
45.75% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent short-term care score. We awarded them an A in this area. Our short-term care scores are important for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. Nursing ratings are largely associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Porthaven Healthcare Center?
This facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. We awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best grades. Inspection grades account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, we awarded this facility a D in our long-term care category. This is the facility's weakest category score. However, we would not dwell on one poor score. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Porthaven Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 9.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 2.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which sustained a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 2.67% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 15.04% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 12.62% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 92.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 12.97% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 18.46% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 18.46 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Porthaven Healthcare Center, 77% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 13 other nursing homes
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.04 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Oregon Kidney Center1.82 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis2.13 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC2.58 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Northeast Portland Renal Center2.73 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Portland Mlk Dialysis2.76 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Rose City Dialysis LLC2.95 miles away7474 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97211Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 737-1020
- Portland Home Dialysis Clinic3.38 miles away10802 Se Washington Street Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 2 (503) 254-4426
- Fmc Maywood Park3.47 miles away11909 Ne Glenn Widing Dr Portland Oregon 97220Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 255-3464