Pocopson Home is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, a city with 105,091 people. It looks like this nursing home is among the better facilities we assessed. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it ahead of most of the facilities in West Chester, which has a strong selection of facilities. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1695 Lenape Road,
West Chester PA 19382
62.58% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall rating, this nursing home received an A+ inspection grade. This score is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its long-term care grade. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 94.047615 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 1.34 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Pocopson Home?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing scores are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provided 3.9 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is an impressive statistic which typically correlates with higher quality care. Finally, this nursing home also excelled in several quality-based metrics we assessed. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, this place performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is often an indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Many pressure ulcers can be avoided by offering better nursing care and having a policy of moving patients more often.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was short-term care. This facility received a favorable short-term care rating this year, with a grade of C. Although this was not as dominant as some of its other category grades, this is still a decent grade for that category. Our short-term care grade is generally used to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of physical therapy per week to its residents. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 37 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pocopson Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pocopson Home, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pocopson Home, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pocopson Home, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pocopson Home, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pocopson Home, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pocopson Home, 3.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pocopson Home, 89.35% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pocopson Home, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pocopson Home, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Pocopson Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pocopson Home, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pocopson Home, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pocopson Home, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for West Chester, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Chester, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 9.72 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.23 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 14.25 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 14.66 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis5.81 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.7.03 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc7.82 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Delaware, LLC.8.1 miles awayLantana Square Shopping Center 214 Lantana Drive Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 9 (302) 239-4704
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis8.24 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester8.25 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC8.61 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center9.9 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374