Pocopson Home is one of five nursing homes in West Chester, Pennsylvania. With an overall grade of A-, this is without a doubt a very good facility. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1695 Lenape Road,
West Chester PA 19382
60.65% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this facility excelled in our long-term care category. We gave them an impressive score of A+ in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 92.64264 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Pocopson Home?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for short-term care. This is the nursing home's worst category score. Nevertheless, we wouldn't focus exclusively one bad grade. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pocopson Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pocopson Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pocopson Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pocopson Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pocopson Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pocopson Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pocopson Home, 3.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pocopson Home, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pocopson Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pocopson Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Pocopson Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pocopson Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pocopson Home, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pocopson Home, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for West Chester, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Chester, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 9.72 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.23 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 14.25 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 14.66 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis5.81 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.7.03 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc7.82 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Delaware, LLC.8.1 miles awayLantana Square Shopping Center 214 Lantana Drive Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 9 (302) 239-4704
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis8.24 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester8.25 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC8.61 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center9.9 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374