Plymouth Harbor is a small non-profit facility in Sarasota, Florida. We awarded this facility an overall rating of A, making it one of the five best nursing homes in the city. We simply can't say enough great things about this facility. Finally, this wound up being a very consistent nursing home with consistent grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sarasota senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Sarasota, Florida Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Sarasota, Florida Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a score of A+ for its long-term care grade. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Plymouth Harbor?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Our nursing rating includes a handful of datapoints, but the paramount consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this nursing home was given an excellent short-term care rating. In fact, we awarded it an A- in this category, rounding out a straight A profile. Our short-term care ratings are probably more meaningful for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Plymouth Harbor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Plymouth Harbor, 1.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Plymouth Harbor, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Plymouth Harbor, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that experienced UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Plymouth Harbor, 8.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Plymouth Harbor, 25.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Plymouth Harbor, 4.49% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Plymouth Harbor, 95.54% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Plymouth Harbor, 9.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Plymouth Harbor, 14.53% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Plymouth Harbor, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Plymouth Harbor, 14.53% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Plymouth Harbor, 7.34% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Plymouth Harbor, 70.22% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Us Renal Care Sarasota2.44 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails2.89 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center8.39 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center9.08 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis9.36 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Bradenton Dialysis9.66 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209
- Manasota Dialysis9.92 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Bradenton Artificial Kidney Center11.17 miles away5902 Pointe West Blvd Bradenton Florida 34209Dialysis Stations: 21 (941) 792-3290