With an address in Sun City Center, Florida, Plaza West is one of only three nursing homes in the city. We gave this nursing home a phenomenal overall score of A. Indeed, this is actually the highest graded nursing home in Sun City Center. Based on the data we reviewed, you can't go wrong with this place. One of the major highlights of this facility's remarkable report card is its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Best Nursing Home in Sun City Center, Florida Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Sun City Center, Florida Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Sun City Center, Florida Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our short-term care rating. We gave them an A+ in this area. With our short-term care score, we try to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This facility also received a virtually flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. This is one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Plaza West?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. We looked at the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility received a highly favorable long-term care score. While this was not as good as many of its other scores, this remains one of our more favorable grades a facility can receive. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Plaza West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Plaza West, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Plaza West, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients that experienced falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Plaza West, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Plaza West, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Plaza West, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Plaza West, 2.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Plaza West, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Plaza West, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Plaza West, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Plaza West, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Plaza West, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Plaza West, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Plaza West, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- South Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.62 miles away4016 Sun City Center Blvd Sun City Center Florida 33573Proprietary(813) 634-3301
- Brandon Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.53 miles away119 Oakfield Dr Brandon Florida 33511Proprietary(813) 681-5551
- Tampa General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.68 miles away1 Tampa General Cir Tampa Florida 33606Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 844-7000
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 17.05 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 17.08 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.85 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Sun City Center Dialysis0.54 miles away783 Cortaro Dr Sun City Center Florida 33573CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 633-2847
- Cypress Creek Dialysis Center0.93 miles away952 Cypress Village Blvd Sun City Center Florida 33573Dialysis Stations: 14 (813) 642-9209
- Falkenburg Dialysis13.7 miles away3140 S Falkenburg Road Suite 101 Riverview Florida 33578Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 372-1625
- Dsi South Tampa LLC14.7 miles away731 West Lumsden Brandon Florida 33511CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (813) 661-7474
- Brandon Artificial Kidney Center15.21 miles away514 Medical Oaks Ave Brandon Florida 33511Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 661-3815
- Tampa General Hospital Esrd15.68 miles awayPediatric Dialysis 1 Tampa General Circle Tampa Florida 33601Dialysis Stations: 7 (813) 844-4210
- Brandon East Dialysis15.84 miles away114 E Brandon Blvd Brandon Florida 33511CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 657-2783
- Kennedy Boulevard Dialysis16.69 miles away2205 W Kennedy Blvd Tampa Florida 33606Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 254-3638