Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Elizabeth, New Jersey, which has a population of 98,331 people. Sporting an overall grade of A, this nursing home is one of the top facilities we looked at. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top ten percent of all nursing homes in the nation. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its great overall score, we gave this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Nursing scores are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to point out the fact that this facility was awarded a first-rate score of A in our long-term care category. For patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 76.02041 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of A-. This completed a very strong profile. Few facilities received an A- or better in all four categories. Short-term care ratings are important for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that have experienced a fall leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 5.95% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 91.97% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.72 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Hospital1.1 miles awayDialysis Unit 225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-5203
- Fmc Elizabeth Dc2.04 miles away595 Division Street Suite B Elizabeth New Jersey 07201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 436-3007
- Trinitas Sat Linden2.21 miles away10 North Wood Ave Suite G Linden New Jersey 07036Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 862-7400
- Trinitas Livingston St2.52 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011
- Fmc Linden Dialysis2.92 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161
- Fmc Kenilworth3.04 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Davita Hillside Dialysis Ctr3.13 miles away1529 North Broad Street Hillside New Jersey 07205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 474-1199
- Trinitas Cranford Dialysis3.35 miles away205 Birchwood Ave Cranford New Jersey 07016Dialysis Stations: 9 (908) 402-2000