Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility located in Elizabeth, New Jersey, which has a population of 98,331 people. With an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is one of the more impressive facilities we assessed. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the United States. Scroll down to find this facility's category grades, which are also impressive. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Elizabeth senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall score, this facility excelled in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for that area. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area with a score of B+. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 85.71429 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing rating features a variety of datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this facility was given a strong short-term care grade. Even though this wasn't quite as strong as several of its other scores, this remains one of our better grades a facility can receive. Our short-term care grades are arguably more meaningful for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were not able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 6.37% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 89.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Plaza Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.72 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.78 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Hospital1.1 miles awayDialysis Unit 225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-5203
- Fmc Elizabeth Dc2.04 miles away595 Division Street Suite B Elizabeth New Jersey 07201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 436-3007
- Trinitas Sat Linden2.21 miles away10 North Wood Ave Suite G Linden New Jersey 07036Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 862-7400
- Trinitas Livingston St2.52 miles awayDialysis Unit 629 Livingston St Elizabethport New Jersey 07206Dialysis Stations: 14 (908) 994-7011
- Fmc Linden Dialysis2.92 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161
- Fmc Kenilworth3.04 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Davita Hillside Dialysis Ctr3.13 miles away1529 North Broad Street Hillside New Jersey 07205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 474-1199
- Trinitas Cranford Dialysis3.35 miles away205 Birchwood Ave Cranford New Jersey 07016Dialysis Stations: 9 (908) 402-2000