Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center is a small nursing home located in Pittsburg, California. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some respectable marks. You can certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of A+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second best area turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated a relatively low 84.66667 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of C in this category. We analyzed the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our score in this area. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is a rock bottom score. This is certainly a major disappointment. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Given its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this place is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have had a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who had a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pittsburg Skilled Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Sutter Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away3901 Lone Tree Way Antioch California 94509Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 779-7200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - AntiochAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away4501 Sand Creek Road Antioch California 94531Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 813-6500
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 8.87 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Walnut CreekAcute Care Hospitals 13.01 miles away1425 S Main Street Walnut Creek California 94596Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 295-4000
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.4 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Delta View Dialysis Center0.89 miles away1150 E Leland Road Pittsburg California 94565CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 427-0867
- Fmc Diablo Central Pittsburg0.92 miles away2155 Loveridge Road Pittsburg California 94565CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (925) 439-8772
- Fmc Diablo West Antioch2.51 miles away2386 Buchanan Road Antioch California 94509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (925) 756-2490
- Antioch Dialysis Center2.61 miles away3100 Delta Fair Blvd Antioch California 94509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 753-5000
- Davita Lone Tree Ranch Dialysis5.12 miles away4040 Lone Tree Way Antioch California 94531Dialysis Stations: 24 (925) 777-3356
- Fmc East Antioch6.22 miles away2163 Country Hills Dr Antioch California 94509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (925) 779-1254
- Concord Dialysis Center8.06 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492
- Fkc San Miguel8.95 miles away2731 Systron Drive Suite 100 Concord California 94518Dialysis Stations: 25 (925) 676-6401