Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Kernersville, North Carolina. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is a good fit for most people. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Kernersville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. There are a host of factors within this category. Most of these criteria relate to staffing levels. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 90.70632 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than average. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.49% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.57% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.91% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.91% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.06% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Piney Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 78.36% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- High Point Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away601 N Elm St High Point North Carolina 27261Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 878-6000
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away3333 Silas Creek Parkway Winston Salem North Carolina 27103Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 718-5000
- The Moses H Cone Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.92 miles away1200 N Elm St Greensboro North Carolina 27401Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 832-7000
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away207 Old Lexington Rd Box 789 Thomasville North Carolina 27360Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 472-2000
- Salem Kidney Center of Wake Forest University7.92 miles away2705 Boulder Park Court Winston Salem North Carolina 27101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (336) 761-8808
- Triad Dialysis Center8.36 miles away4370 Regency Drive High Point North Carolina 27265CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (336) 454-0076
- Bma Northwest Greensboro Kidney Center10.23 miles away2837 Horsepen Creek Greensboro North Carolina 27410CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (336) 664-6869
- Fresenius Medical Care - High Point10.47 miles away1320 Eastchester Drive High Point North Carolina 27265Dialysis Stations: 10 (252) 823-7046
- Piedmont Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University10.53 miles away655 Cotton Street Winston Salem North Carolina 27101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 58 (336) 721-1360
- Northside Dialysis Center of Wake Forest Univerisity11.67 miles away500 West Hanes Mill Road Winston Salem North Carolina 27105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 45 (336) 744-0577
- Wfu Baptist Medical Center Dialysis Unit11.7 miles away8 N Hemodialysis Medical Center Blvd Winston Salem North Carolina 27157Dialysis Stations: 4 (336) 716-3170
- Miller Street Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University12.38 miles away120 Miller St Winston Salem North Carolina 27103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 44 (336) 724-0468