Orchid Cove at Venice is one of six available nursing homes located in Venice, Florida. With an overall rating of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. In our view, this place looks like a solid choice for most people. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also impressive. It would be hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Orchid Cove at Venice
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially want to emphasize its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's impressive category grades came in the area of long-term care. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that area, with a grade of B+. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.86363 percent of its patients. This is a great way to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Orchid Cove at Venice?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was short-term care, where this nursing home was given a B. This facility turned out to be relatively strong in all areas we analyzed. In our short-term care assessment, we seek to forge a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Orchid Cove at Venice Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 2.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Orchid Cove at Venice, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Venice, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Venice, Florida has 5 other nursing homes
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Englewood Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away700 Medical Blvd Englewood Florida 34223Proprietary(941) 475-6571
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 13.32 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.88 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Rtc - Venice0.45 miles away816 Pinebrook Rd Venice Florida 34285Dialysis Stations: 23 (941) 486-9057
- Fmc - Venice2.95 miles away1120 Indian Hills Blvd Venice Florida 34293CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 493-5969
- Fresenius Medical Care North Port, LLC10.08 miles away12480 Tamiami Trail South North Port Florida 34287Dialysis Stations: 13 (941) 564-3224
- Palm Breeze Dialysis11.25 miles away14942 Tamiami Trail Suite G North Port Florida 34287Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 429-0443
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center13.74 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails14.62 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Us Renal Care Sarasota16.01 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Manasota Dialysis18.99 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864