Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center is a large non-profit facility in Peabody, Massachusetts. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is a high-end score. This grade is higher than the city grade of A- in Peabody, which is also an impressive grade. We also gave this nursing home impressive ratings in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
96 Forest Street,
Peabody MA 01960
81.71% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is that it received an impressive grade in inspections. Inspections ended up being its best category. In this area, we awarded this facility an A-. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was superb in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Not many facilities received a better grade in this area. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who returned to the community from this nursing home. It outperformed the vast majority of facilities with 57.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home also received a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.48321 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. The last statistic we assessed was its hospitalization rate. Although it had 2.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was middle of the road since it had more complex patients.
In the last area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for its nursing score. This finished off a very strong profile. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this category. This nursing home averages 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also factored a few quality-based metrics into our nursing grades. This facility was relatively weak in two of the major areas we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.96% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pilgrim Rehabilitation & Skilled Nursing Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Peabody, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Peabody, Massachusetts has 4 other nursing homes
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Peabody Dialysis Center0.41 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis2.46 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers2.57 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- North Shore Regional Dialysis Center5.11 miles away133 Brimbal Ave Unit E Beverly Massachusetts 01915CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 921-2052
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)5.22 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham7.56 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Woburn Dialysis10.68 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center10.92 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740