Pennswood Village is a facility in Newtown, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 28,825 people. With an overall grade of A, this is clearly a phenomenal facility. In fact, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 100 best nursing homes in Pennsylvania. This is an impressive achievement in a state with a long list of high-end nursing homes. If you look below, you will see this place's category scores, which are just as strong as its overall rating.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Newtown, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Newtown, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility earned near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this facility also excelled in our short-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in that area. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Pennswood Village?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. There are a variety of subcategories included in this grade. Most of these factors reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final area, this facility also received a very strong long-term care grade, with an A-. This wrapped up an elite report card. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pennswood Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pennswood Village, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pennswood Village, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pennswood Village, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pennswood Village, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pennswood Village, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pennswood Village, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pennswood Village, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pennswood Village, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pennswood Village, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Pennswood Village, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pennswood Village, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pennswood Village, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pennswood Village, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 5.79 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Doylestown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away595 West State St Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 345-2200
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Davita Franklin Commons Dialysis0.63 miles away720 Johnsville Boulevard, Suite 800 Warminster Pennsylvania 18974CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 682-7691
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington3.38 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis3.47 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Abington Dialysis3.76 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Liberty Dialysis - Doylestown6.17 miles away2800 Kelly Road, Suite 110 Warrington Pennsylvania 18976CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 488-7226
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis6.72 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis7.08 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast7.12 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923