Pennswood Village is a facility in Newtown, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 28,825 people. With an overall grade of A+, this facility is clearly a superb nursing home. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the top 50 nursing homes in Pennsylvania. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category grades, which appear to be equally strong as its overall grade.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Newtown PA 18940
62.83% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Newtown, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Newtown, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this facility earned nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A+. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Pennswood Village?
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate assessment, this facility also received an excellent short-term care score, with a score of A. In forming these short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last category, we gave this facility a grade of A+ for our long-term care rating. This topped off a very impressive profile. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pennswood Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pennswood Village, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pennswood Village, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pennswood Village, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pennswood Village, 3.3% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pennswood Village, 86.27% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pennswood Village, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
In Pennswood Village, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pennswood Village, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pennswood Village, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 5.79 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Doylestown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away595 West State St Doylestown Pennsylvania 18901Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 345-2200
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Davita Franklin Commons Dialysis0.63 miles away720 Johnsville Boulevard, Suite 800 Warminster Pennsylvania 18974CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 682-7691
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington3.38 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis3.47 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Abington Dialysis3.76 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Liberty Dialysis - Doylestown6.17 miles away2800 Kelly Road, Suite 110 Warrington Pennsylvania 18976CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 488-7226
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis6.72 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis7.08 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast7.12 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923