Penn Mar Therapeutic Center is a small nursing home located in El Monte, California. With an B+ overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top third of all facilities in the United States. In our view, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
Penn Mar Therapeutic Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility earned even higher grades in nursing. In fact, we gave it one of our highest scores in this category with an A. The nursing rating consists of many subcategories, but the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections. We gave it an A for that category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Penn Mar Therapeutic Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category ended up being its short-term care score, where it was given a B-. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is long-term care. In this area, we gave this facility a decent grade of B-. This ended up being this facility's least impressive category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this facility gave the vaccine to only 7.299269 percent of its patients, which is slightly concerning. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Penn Mar Therapeutic Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who had a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents which have suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Penn Mar Therapeutic Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for El Monte, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Monte, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center1.8 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.2.42 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Fmc-El Monte2.57 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.07 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- Advanced Dialysis Center3.35 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.3.5 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.3.95 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center4.18 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007