Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is located in Far Rockaway, New York. This city has 71,951 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable grade. This nursing home turned out to be one of the better nursing homes in Far Rockaway. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Far Rockaway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, this place excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to this facility's list of achievements, it also was awarded a superb long-term care score. We awarded them a dominant grade of A- in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.5173 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. We weighed the qualifications of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our score in this area. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a low total compared with most nursing homes. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility was awarded a decent short-term care grade of C. In computing our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is often a fair assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 3.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.15% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.67% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 98.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.08% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.11% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Peninsula Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.91% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.68 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.23 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.56 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.68 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.75 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC2.95 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center3.49 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc4.72 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.94 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center5.23 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600