With an address in Bronx, New York, Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility is on a list of 44 facilities this area. With an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. This facility seems to have very little going for it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent grade in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid places that have a long list of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care score is one of its better grades. The nursing home received a grade of B- in this area. In calculating our long-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's personal care services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 78.07487 percent of its residents. This is quite a bit lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this place excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest score is short-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still performed somewhat badly. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. With a grade of this caliber in this area, we weren't surprised to discover this facility was below average in multiple staffing figures we assess. The nursing home offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The final area we graded was nursing, where this facility received a poor grade in this area as well. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this category, which is definitely a major disappointment. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. On top of receiving below average marks for total nursing hours, this nursing home was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. We looked at the percentage of residents suffering pressure ulcers and found this facility was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this metric. This is a bad sign when you consider that many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic pulled down this nursing home's nursing rating substantially.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 8.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 3.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 0.54% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 26.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 3.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 1.12% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 85.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 19.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 16.2% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 16.2% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 4.94% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pelham Parkway Nursing Center & Rehab Facility, 23.22% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 43 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.77 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Morningside Dialysis Center LLC.0.38 miles away1000 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 904-6518
- Davita Allerton Dialysis0.62 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis0.64 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Fms-Morris Park0.84 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.0.9 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC1.07 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089
- Fms-Eastchester1.07 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470
- Davita Laconia Dialysis1.09 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538