Located in Gastonia, North Carolina, Peak Resources - Gastonia is one of seven facilities there. With an overall score of B, this is a good option. In our view, this facility looks like a good fit for quite a few people. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Peak Resources - Gastonia
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this facility so favorably is that it was given a very impressive long-term care score. In fact, long-term care turned out to be its second most impressive category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Peak Resources - Gastonia?
Short-term Care Quality
The next most favorable area we awarded this facility in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The last category we rated was nursing. We gave this facility a D for our nursing category, rendering this the nursing home's worst category grade. The nursing rating is based on a handful of subcategories, but the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Peak Resources - Gastonia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 3.01% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 87.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Peak Resources - Gastonia, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 6 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.58 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.01 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.41 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.23 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.62 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.14 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.59 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center6.09 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.63 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.48 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain13.01 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis13.61 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300