Patriot Heights San Antonio is in the densely populated metropolitan area of San Antonio, Texas which has a total of 1,585,405 people. We gave this facility a respectable overall rating of B-. After looking at the other options in San Antonio, this looks like a higher quality choice than most of them. Even in a city with 62 nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a fine choice. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Patriot Heights San Antonio
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5000 Fawn Meadow,
San Antonio TX 78240
72.29% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than its overall score. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our better scores. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Patriot Heights San Antonio?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. We looked at the qualifications of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with residents, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, while this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is a fair grade in this area. Our short-term care ratings are probably more critical for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Patriot Heights San Antonio Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who experienced UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Patriot Heights San Antonio, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 0.43 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 0.65 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.22 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.49 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.76 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Floyd Curl Dialysis0.42 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic0.51 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Bma Northwest Bexar County1.32 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis1.49 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center1.55 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa1.64 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC2.83 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis3.03 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300