With more than 20 options located in Houston, Texas, Parkway Place is one of many options. This facility is among the top nursing homes we looked at. A score of this caliber requires top-notch marks across the board. Indeed, this is one of the highest rated nursing homes in the city. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its short-term care score, which we will address in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a strong facility overall, this facility also excelled at short-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Parkway Place?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. When calculating our nursing scores, we weigh both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable long-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of A- in that category, giving this facility straight A's. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Parkway Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Parkway Place, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Parkway Place, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that experienced falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Parkway Place, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who have had a UTI. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Parkway Place, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Parkway Place, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Parkway Place, 4.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Parkway Place, 94.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Parkway Place, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's health.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Parkway Place, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Parkway Place, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 9.18 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 11.61 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Westminster Dialysis2.15 miles away12121 Westheimer Rd Ste 138 Houston Texas 77077Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 493-9046
- West Oaks Dialysis Center2.19 miles away14800 Westheimer Road Suite A Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 752-5469
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis Center2.87 miles away11621 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77079CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (281) 558-5702
- West Point Dialysis3.01 miles away12051 Westpark Drive Suite 100 Houston Texas 77082CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 920-4892
- Bannack Dialysis, LLC3.1 miles away12606 West Park Drive Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 679-1848
- Fresenius Medical Care Mission Bend4.58 miles away6886 Highway 6 South Houston Texas 77083Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 568-0440
- West Houston Home Dialysis4.61 miles away1319 Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 130 Houston Texas 77043Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 465-0005
- Croskee Dialysis, LLC4.75 miles away10405 Katy Fwy Suite 140 Houston Texas 77024Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 647-0641