Parkway Place is in Houston, Texas. The city has many options. This facility is among the most impressive nursing homes we looked at. A grade in this range requires excellent marks across the board. Indeed, this turned out to be one of the five highest graded facilities in Houston. Headlining this facility's remarkable report card is its short-term care grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ short-term care grade. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Parkway Place?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we looked at was long-term care, where this facility received a grade of A-. This topped off a very favorable profile. Only a select few facilities earned an A- or higher in each of our categories. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Parkway Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Parkway Place, 12.77% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Parkway Place, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Parkway Place, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Parkway Place, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Parkway Place, 16.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Parkway Place, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Parkway Place, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Parkway Place, 32% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Parkway Place, 6.79% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Parkway Place, 94.08% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 9.18 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 11.61 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Westminster Dialysis2.15 miles away12121 Westheimer Rd Ste 138 Houston Texas 77077Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 493-9046
- West Oaks Dialysis Center2.19 miles away14800 Westheimer Road Suite A Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 752-5469
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis Center2.87 miles away11621 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77079CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (281) 558-5702
- West Point Dialysis3.01 miles away12051 Westpark Drive Suite 100 Houston Texas 77082CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 920-4892
- Bannack Dialysis, LLC3.1 miles away12606 West Park Drive Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 679-1848
- Fresenius Medical Care Mission Bend4.58 miles away6886 Highway 6 South Houston Texas 77083Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 568-0440
- West Houston Home Dialysis4.61 miles away1319 Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 130 Houston Texas 77043Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 465-0005
- Croskee Dialysis, LLC4.75 miles away10405 Katy Fwy Suite 140 Houston Texas 77024Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 647-0641