Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation is a small nursing home located in La Mesa, California. Our rating scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in La Mesa. Surprisingly, this facility actually received one respectable category grade for inspections, which you can read more about below.
Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. On top of having severe deficiencies, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place offered only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development is the F this facility received in the area of long-term care. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. After considering the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 97.333336 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care. We gave it an F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With a score in this range for this area, we were not stunned to learn this facility was well below average in two of the key staffing figures we focus on. In fact, it provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Parkway Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for La Mesa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? La Mesa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.23 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.3 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center1.96 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis1.99 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.09 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.97 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego4.03 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Davita-San Diego East5.59 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Balboa East County5.75 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise5.91 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872