Parkside Health and Wellness Center is a nursing home located in El Cajon, California. This city has a population of 165,433 people. With an overall rating of A, this facility is ranked among the highest-graded facilities we found. Despite El Cajon featuring 12 other nursing homes to choose from, this facility stood out as a superb selection. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's stellar profile is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Parkside Health and Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
444 W Lexington,
El Cajon CA 92020
99.23% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
The next category we looked at was inspections, where this facility also received an A+ grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Parkside Health and Wellness Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A. Only a select group of facilities fared better in this category. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very good nursing grade this year, with a grade of B. While this wasn't quite as dominant as a few of its other grades, this is still one of our better scores for that area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Parkside Health and Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Parkside Health and Wellness Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.59 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.28 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 11.1 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.57 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon1.1 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center1.89 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Balboa East County1.94 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Davita-College Dialysis5.71 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College5.9 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.22 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise8.37 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East8.96 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225