Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in East Orange, New Jersey. With an overall grade of A, this nursing home is among the best nursing homes we found. This proved to be quite a bit better than many of the nursing homes in East Orange. This nursing home also received impressive grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in East Orange, New Jersey Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being an elite nursing home overall, this nursing home performed well in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Very few facilities performed this well in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another reason we rated this facility so highly is that it was awarded an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, this facility received a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in this area. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In the last area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for our nursing score. This finished off an elite profile. Our nursing rating features a number of subcategories. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 91.97% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for East Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? East Orange, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.47 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Davita East Orange Dialysis1.05 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc North Newark1.26 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fkc Belleville1.32 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.49 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.62 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc1.66 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Davita Renal Center of Newark1.9 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital1.92 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035