Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in East Orange, New Jersey. With an overall grade of A, this nursing home is among the best nursing homes we found. This proved to be quite a bit better than many of the nursing homes in East Orange. This nursing home also received impressive grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its strong assessment, this facility also was given a superb short-term care grade, with a grade of A-. In crafting these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The last category we scored was nursing, where this nursing home was given an A-. This rounded out a very favorable profile. Very few nursing homes received an A- or better in every category. The nursing category assesses many subcategories, most of which are based on nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care patients who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 5.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 92% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Park Crescent Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for East Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? East Orange, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.47 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Davita East Orange Dialysis1.05 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc North Newark1.26 miles away155 Berkeley Avenue Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 412-0066
- Fkc Belleville1.32 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Ara Dialysis at East Orange1.49 miles away20 Sussex Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 266-1093
- Fmc East Orange Dc1.62 miles away110 South Grove Street East Orange New Jersey 07018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 414-6100
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc1.66 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Davita Renal Center of Newark1.9 miles away571 Central Ave Newark New Jersey 07107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 484-4994
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital1.92 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035