Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center is a very-large facility located in Pomona, California. With a really poor overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. Based on our ratings, this nursing home likely isn't a good fit for anyone. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive nursing grade. You can continue reading to find out about nursing and other category grades
Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1550 North Park Avenue,
Pomona CA 91768
73.11% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a respectable score when it came to nursing. We gave it a B in this category. Our nursing grade is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an impressive 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, this place also fared even better in most of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It had a low percentage of patients experiencing pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also surprised to discover that this facility received a decent long-term care rating this year. We gave it a B- in this area. Our long-term care grade is often used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid percentage. Finally, we looked at the facility's number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this place had 2.53 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, this figure was less impressive than its other scores in the long-term care area.
Does this page answer your questions about Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was short-term care. This facility's was given a rock-bottom short-term care grade where it received an F. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more important for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this place provides substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 25.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
The last category we looked at is inspections. This nursing home didn't receive favorable government inspections in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F. For facilities with poor inspection grades, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 8 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed large government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This usually signifies that a facility's bad performance spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.32% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 96.21% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Pomona, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Pomona, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.26 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.94 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.8 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis0.82 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership1.12 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.2.12 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center3.34 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Davita-Pomona Valley Dialysis3.61 miles away2703 S Towne Avenue Pomona California 91766CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 590-4930
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.3.75 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.4.64 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230
- Davita-Chino Dialysis4.77 miles away4445 Riverside Drive Chino California 91710CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 464-0347