Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center is a nursing home in Pomona, California. This city has a total of 154,204 people. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall grade based on the data we assessed. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are eight other nursing homes in Pomona. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Pomona senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We just could not find anything positive to say about this place. It received a grade of just just D in nursing. Unfortunately, this turned out to be its best score. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care grade and that actually turned out to be its next highest score. Our short-term care grade is generally used to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. As you might expect, we found that this place offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average nursing home. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics doomed this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. This facility's received an unfortunate long-term care score where it was given an F. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Moving on our final category of inspections, this nursing home received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than other categories. When a place has this poor of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This particular nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.75% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.71% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 0.26% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 25.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 20.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 16.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 99.15% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 2.38% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 2.56% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' health.
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 2.56% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.6% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Park Avenue Healthcare & Wellness Center, 92.72% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Pomona, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Pomona, California has 8 other nursing homes
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.26 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.94 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.8 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis0.82 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership1.12 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.2.12 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center3.34 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Davita-Pomona Valley Dialysis3.61 miles away2703 S Towne Avenue Pomona California 91766CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 590-4930
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.3.75 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.4.64 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230
- Davita-Chino Dialysis4.77 miles away4445 Riverside Drive Chino California 91710CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 464-0347