Paradise Valley Health Care is one of five facilities in National City, California. Sporting an overall rating of B+, we rated this facility to be one of the three highest graded facilities in the city. An overall grade in this range is a reliable indicator of a very good nursing home. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Paradise Valley Health Care
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2575 E. Eighth St.,
National City CA 91950
98.02% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our short-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. We gave it a grade of A for that area, which is one of our best scores. This is one of the few nursing homes with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Paradise Valley Health Care?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. The nursing grade weighs several subcategories, most of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded is long-term care, which is a weak link for this facility. We gave this facility a D in the area of long-term care, rendering this the facility's worst category grade. We'd nevertheless recommend that you consider all of a nursing home's grades. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Paradise Valley Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Paradise Valley Health Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for National City, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? National City, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.8 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Davita-San Diego East1.69 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise2.03 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center2.19 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Raven2.48 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East2.95 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis3.05 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies3.09 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay4.16 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725