Palos Verdes Health Care Center is located in Lomita, California. This city has a total of 21,318 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some decent scores. Based on our assessment, this place is a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this place's report card was is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Palos Verdes Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Few facilities fared better in this category. If it wasn't for this category, this nursing home's overall grade would have been much worse. Our short-term care scores are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Another one of this nursing home's stronger areas was in the category of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B+. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Palos Verdes Health Care Center?
Unfortunately, this nursing home received really poor government inspection reports in recent years, causing us to give them an F in our inspection category. An F in this area is typically a sign that there were some red flags on the nursing home's inspections. For nursing homes with bad inspection scores, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home had 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, we also would like to point out that this nursing home received significant government fines recently of more than $100,000. This generally signifies that a facility's poor performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this facility didn't perform very well. Due to a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is its worst category grade. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palos Verdes Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palos Verdes Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.72 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.96 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- u.s. Renal Care Lomita Dialysis0.68 miles away1830 Lomita Blvd. Lomita California 90717CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 530-7796
- Fmc-South Bay0.79 miles away1221 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 539-1221
- Fmc-South Bay Home Therapy0.91 miles away1223 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710Dialysis Stations: 6 (310) 325-0416
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis1.34 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis3.03 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Tower Dialysis3.16 miles away8635 W. Third Street, Suite 560 Los Angeles California 90048Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 855-1742
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program3.46 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- Davita-Harbor Ucla3.55 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413