Palomino Place is a senior living facility in Mesquite, Texas. This city has a population of 140,703 people. Sporting an overall rating of B+. After sizing up the other options in Mesquite, this looks like a higher quality selection than quite a few of them. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3160 Gus Thomasson Road,
Mesquite TX 75150
66.83% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this nursing home is that it received an above average long-term care grade. Indeed, this wound up being its second best category grade. In this category, we awarded this facility a B+. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Palomino Place?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is short-term care. This nursing home was given a favorable short-term care grade, with a grade of B in this area. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. This nursing home boosted its score in this category by offering more than 50% more physical therapy hours to its residents than the average facility. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it performed as well as just about any facility in Texas in this area with 59.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Turning to our final area, this nursing home received an acceptable nursing rating. While this wasn't quite as strong as a few of its other scores, this is still not the end of the world. Our nursing grade analyzes quite a few components, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This facility provided just 3.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a low total compared with most facilities. Finally, although this nursing home didn't rank well in terms of nursing hours per resident, it performed better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In terms of the number of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, this facility fared better than the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palomino Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palomino Place, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palomino Place, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palomino Place, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palomino Place, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palomino Place, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palomino Place, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palomino Place, 95.06% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palomino Place, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palomino Place, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Palomino Place, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palomino Place, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palomino Place, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palomino Place, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite1.43 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC1.51 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.62 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.21 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Dallas East Dialysis2.74 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center2.79 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Village Ii Dialysis Center3.84 miles away6300 Samuel Blvd Suite 125 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (214) 388-8690
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC4.18 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649