Palomino Place is an average-sized government-owned nursing home in Mesquite, Texas. Featuring an overall rating of B, this looks like a fine nursing home. Based on our analysis, this place looks like a good fit for most people. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mesquite senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a quality facility is that it received a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections is its best category grade. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of A+. Our inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of achievements, it also was awarded a first-rate long-term care grade. We awarded them an impressive strong of A in this category. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Palomino Place?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. When determining our nursing scores, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is far below average. Finally, nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this facility was given a C in short-term care, which is generally a decent score. In our short-term care score, we attempt to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palomino Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palomino Place, 6.47% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palomino Place, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palomino Place, 0.92% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palomino Place, 1.41% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palomino Place, 14.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palomino Place, 0% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palomino Place, 100% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palomino Place, 26.84% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palomino Place, 20.15% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palomino Place, 20.15% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palomino Place, 9.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palomino Place, 74.12% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite1.43 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC1.51 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.62 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.21 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Dallas East Dialysis2.74 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center2.79 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Village Ii Dialysis Center3.84 miles away6300 Samuel Blvd Suite 125 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (214) 388-8690
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC4.18 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649