Palomino Place is an average-sized government-owned nursing home in Mesquite, Texas. Featuring an overall rating of B, this looks like a fine nursing home. Based on our analysis, this place looks like a good fit for most people. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall grade as described above, but we especially want to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded it an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this nursing home so well is that it was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, long-term care ended up being its second best category score. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Palomino Place?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of C. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. The nursing rating weighs a host of datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a resident more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. We gave this nursing home a D in the area of short-term care, leaving this as the facility's least impressive category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this place's case, we found that it provided less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palomino Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palomino Place, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palomino Place, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palomino Place, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palomino Place, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palomino Place, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palomino Place, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palomino Place, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palomino Place, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palomino Place, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palomino Place, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palomino Place, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palomino Place, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 9.16 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite1.43 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC1.51 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite1.62 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.21 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Dallas East Dialysis2.74 miles away3402 North Buckner Blvd Suite 308 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (214) 660-9413
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center2.79 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880
- Village Ii Dialysis Center3.84 miles away6300 Samuel Blvd Suite 125 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (214) 388-8690
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC4.18 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649