Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab is a senior living facility located in Escondido, California, a city with 171,802 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this facility is one of the top facilities we assessed. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top three nursing homes in Escondido. This nursing home also received impressive scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many impressive scores, this facility was given first-rate short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in that area. With our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. It does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the number of hours nurses commit to patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this nursing home also received a virtually flawless government inspection. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with an A. With this impressive grade, this place is one of the few facilities in California to receive straight A's. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palomar Heights Post Acute Rehab, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 0.71 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.75 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 14.11 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 18.95 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis0.98 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center3.11 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho8.22 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Fmc-Buena Creek11.84 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis11.94 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.5 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North13.17 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis14.05 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323