Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center is a small nursing home located in Palo Alto, California. We think highly of this nursing home, which we gave an A- overall. We were also impressed with the city grade of facilities in Palo Alto, making this a great place to find a nursing home. We can't find many bad things to say about this facility. Its ratings are just impeccable. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of short-term care. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center?
In addition, this facility also earned excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in that category, with an A-. Our inspection ratings are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a better than average long-term care score in our assessment, with a C. Even though this is not as elite as a few of its other grades, this remains a decent grade for that area. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.8764 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palo Alto Sub-Acute and Rehabilitation Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 1.28 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 11.32 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 11.62 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park2.53 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis4.42 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Redwood City Dialysis Center5.06 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Wellbound of Mountain View5.98 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View5.98 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City6.53 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Davita El Camino Dialysis6.68 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale9.13 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887