Palms Care Center is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which is among the largest cities in the country. This turns out to be a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. Even in a city of 19 other nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a sound selection. Fortunately, this place didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Palms Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Our nursing category is based on quite a few components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving patients more frequently.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an B+ for that area, which is one of our highest grades. This is one of the few nursing homes with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Palms Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home also received a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this category. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is a fair grade in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palms Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palms Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palms Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palms Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palms Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palms Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palms Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palms Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palms Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palms Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Palms Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palms Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palms Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palms Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Lauderdale, Florida has 18 other nursing homes
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- University Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away7201 N University Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321Proprietary(954) 721-2200
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away4725 N Federal Hwy Fort Lauderdale Florida 33308Voluntary non-profit - Church(954) 771-8000
- Broward Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away1600 S Andrews Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33316Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 355-4400
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away2801 N State Rd 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063Proprietary(954) 974-0400
- Broward Health Coral SpringsAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away3000 Coral Hills Dr Pompano Beach Florida 33065Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 344-3000
- Broward Health NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away201 E Sample Rd Pompano Beach Florida 33064Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 786-6950
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- Lauderhill Dialysis0.63 miles away2916 N State Road 7 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33313CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (954) 731-6044
- Florida Kidney Center0.71 miles away7309 West Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33319CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (954) 578-7678
- Oakland Dialysis Center LLC1.65 miles away3250 N State Road 7 Reef Plaza Fort Lauderdale Florida 33319Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 717-2293
- Ft Lauderdale Dixie Dialysis1.82 miles away1299 East Commercial Blvd #100 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33334CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (954) 776-6056
- Fresenius Kidney Care-East Fort Lauderdale2.4 miles away2301 W Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33311Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 676-3897
- Davita Inverrary Dialysis2.77 miles away4984 N University Drive Fort Lauderdale Florida 33351Dialysis Stations: 20 (954) 748-1659
- Plantation Home Training3.54 miles away8144 W Broward Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33324Dialysis Stations: 3 (954) 473-9138
- Tamarac Artificial Kidney Center3.6 miles away7140 W Mcnab Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (954) 720-5336