Palmetto Care Center is an average-sized facility located in Hialeah, Florida. With an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is among the most elite nursing homes we found. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be one of the three highest graded nursing homes in the city. This also worked out to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Palmetto Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Meal Delivery
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this nursing home earned an A+ inspection score. This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can offer a nursing home. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
On the list of its many elite scores, this facility was awarded an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a score of A in that category. With our short-term care rating, we strive to craft a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Palmetto Care Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. There are a host of factors included in this area. Most of these factors reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this nursing home was awarded a high-end long-term care rating. In fact, we awarded it an A in this category, rounding out a straight A profile. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palmetto Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palmetto Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palmetto Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents which suffered a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palmetto Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palmetto Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palmetto Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palmetto Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palmetto Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palmetto Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palmetto Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Palmetto Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palmetto Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palmetto Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palmetto Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Hialeah, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Hialeah, Florida has 5 other nursing homes
- Palmetto General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away2001 W 68th St Hialeah Florida 33016Proprietary(305) 823-5000
- Larkin Community Hospital Palm Springs CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.52 miles away1475 W 49th St Hialeah Florida 33012Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 558-2500
- Hialeah HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away651 E 25th St Hialeah Florida 33013Proprietary(305) 693-6100
- North Shore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away1100 Nw 95th St Miami Florida 33150Proprietary(305) 835-6000
- Memorial Hospital MiramarAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away1901 Sw 172nd Ave Hollywood Florida 33029Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 538-4810
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- Westchester General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away2500 Sw 75th Ave Miami Florida 33155Proprietary(305) 263-9270
- Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away1611 Nw 12th Ave Miami Florida 33136Government - Hospital District or Authority(305) 585-1111
- Palmetto Artificial Kidney Center0.3 miles away7150 W 20th Ave Ste 109 Hialeah Florida 33016CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (305) 827-8399
- Bma - Hialeah0.33 miles away7170 W 20th Ave Hialeah Florida 33016Dialysis Stations: 27 (305) 825-2046
- Hialeah Artificial Kidney Center1.17 miles away8524 Nw 103rd St Hialeah Florida 33016Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 827-0576
- Lakes Dialysis Center2.12 miles away7980 Nw 155 St 2nd Floor Hialeah Florida 33016Dialysis Stations: 22 (305) 817-8508
- South Florida Dialysis Center Corp2.12 miles away8057 Northwest 155 Street Hialeah Florida 33016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (305) 698-2200
- Renovation of Life Dialysis Center2.16 miles away14505 Commerce Way #600 Hialeah Florida 33016Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 362-8399
- Miami Lakes Artificial Kidney Ctr2.39 miles away14600 Nw 60th Ave Hialeah Florida 33014CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (786) 639-0496
- Flamingo Park Kidney Center Inc4.11 miles away901 E 10th Ave Bay 17 Hialeah Florida 33010Dialysis Stations: 21 (305) 884-5677