With an address in Palmer, Massachusetts, Palmer Healthcare Center is the only nursing home we identified there. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. In our view, this nursing home would be a good fit for quite a few people. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Palmer Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A. This is a notably better grade than the place's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Our inspection scores are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care rating ended up being one of its respectable grades. The nursing home was awarded a B- in this category. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 41.436462 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Palmer Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its next best category score in the area of short-term care. We gave this facility a C in this area, which is a decent score. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Switching gears to our last area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in the area of nursing. This was the nursing home's least impressive category grade. We looked at the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palmer Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have experienced falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents which were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 1.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palmer Healthcare Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 0.43 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 13.87 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.27 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.01 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 15.92 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 19.65 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Palmer0.47 miles away42 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 284-0700
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.57 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)11.21 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts12.33 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Springfield Dialysis Center13.89 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Chicopee Dialysis Center14.06 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)14.24 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center14.74 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400