Palm Terrace Care Center is located in Riverside, California. The city offers several nursing home options. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the facilities in Riverside, which has a city grade of B-. In our view, this place looks like a good fit for most people. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Palm Terrace Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this facility performed even better in our inspections category which is based on the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for this category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple relatively minor dings aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this facility is that it was awarded an impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this proved to be its second best category score. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be more important for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Palm Terrace Care Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. Nursing grades are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care. We gave this facility a C in this area. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for people needing more conventional assistance associated with personal care. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palm Terrace Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palm Terrace Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Corona Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away800 South Main Street Corona California 92882Proprietary(951) 737-4343
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 10.07 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.48 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.06 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Riverside1.61 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 10800 Magnolia Avenue, Module 1x Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 4 (951) 353-4887
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis2.56 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central2.77 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home2.77 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Fmc-Riverside2.98 miles away3470 La Sierra Avenue, Suite E Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (951) 343-7700
- Van Buren Dialysis3.43 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis3.46 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Davita-Norco Dialysis Center3.67 miles away1901 Town and Country Drive, Suite 100 Norco California 92860CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (951) 738-0185