Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence is one of just a couple available nursing homes in Chelmsford, Massachusetts. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this facility is one of the better facilities we assessed. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. As you can see below, this facility also performed well in our category grades. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned a grade of A. In computing our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. When determining our nursing grades, we factor in both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable long-term care rating. Even though this isn't quite as dominant as several of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores we offer. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 99.64789 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 1.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 91.63% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.14 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.99 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford2.28 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell4.33 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis10.8 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Dci Walden Pond11.37 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis11.43 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc12.15 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC12.41 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home13.06 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119