Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence is one of just a couple available nursing homes in Chelmsford, Massachusetts. With an overall rating of A, this facility is one of the most impressive facilities we looked at. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. As you can see below, this facility also performed well in our category grades. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
40 Parkhurst Road,
Chelmsford MA 01824
86.93% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Chelmsford, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Chelmsford, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled at short-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities performed better in this area. In crafting these short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. There are quite a few criteria within this area. Most of these datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we analyzed, this facility received a very strong grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this grade, the facility completed a very impressive report card. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.666664 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life threatening health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have experienced falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 91.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palm Skilled Nursing Care & Center for Rehab Excellence, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.14 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.99 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford2.28 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell4.33 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Nashua Dialysis10.8 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665
- Dci Walden Pond11.37 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis11.43 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc12.15 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC12.41 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home13.06 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119