Palm Garden of Winter Haven is a senior living facility located in Winter Haven, Florida, which has 95,906 people. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of the highest scores we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch marks across the board. Not surprisingly, this proved to be the best nursing home in Winter Haven. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Palm Garden of Winter Haven
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We gave it an A for this category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was superb in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Very few facilities received a better grade in this area. Facilities that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Palm Garden of Winter Haven?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our next area, this nursing home received a top-shelf short-term care score. In fact, it received a score of A- in this area. With our short-term care rating, we seek to create a sound measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
In the final category we scored, this nursing home was awarded a very strong grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this score, the nursing home topped off a very impressive profile. We looked at the skill-level of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palm Garden of Winter Haven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 2.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many argue that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palm Garden of Winter Haven, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Winter Haven, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Winter Haven, Florida has 6 other nursing homes
- Winter Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away200 Ave F Ne Winter Haven Florida 33881Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 293-1121
- Bartow Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away2200 Osprey Blvd Bartow Florida 33831Proprietary(863) 533-8111
- Adventhealth Lake WalesAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away410 S 11th St Lake Wales Florida 33853Proprietary(863) 676-1433
- Adventhealth Heart of FloridaAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away40100 Hwy 27 Davenport Florida 33837Proprietary(863) 422-4971
- Lakeland Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away1324 Lakeland Hills Blvd Lakeland Florida 33805Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 687-1100
- Poinciana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.65 miles away325 Cypress Pkwy Kissimmee Florida 34758Proprietary(407) 530-2000
- Rai Care Centers - Winter Haven1.86 miles away1200 E Lake Silver Dr Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 299-0007
- Winter Haven South Dialysis3.67 miles away7220 Cypress Gardens Blvd Winter Haven Florida 33884CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (863) 324-5040
- Winter Haven Dialysis3.88 miles away1625 Unity Way Nw Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 294-8851
- Fmc-Auburndale6.3 miles away365 Havendale Blvd Auburndale Florida 33823Dialysis Stations: 16 (863) 551-3159
- Rai Care Centers - Haines City10.68 miles away110 Patterson Rd Haines City Florida 33844CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (863) 422-0800
- Bartow Dialysis11.14 miles away1190 E Church St Bartow Florida 33830Dialysis Stations: 16 (863) 533-1601
- Lake Wales Dialysis11.46 miles away1125 Bryn Mawr Ave Lake Wales Florida 33853Dialysis Stations: 12 (863) 679-9851
- Rai Care Centers - Lake Wales11.7 miles away1348 State Road 60 E Lake Wales Florida 33853Dialysis Stations: 15 (863) 676-9510