Palm Garden of Pinellas is one of five facilities in Largo, Florida. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive ratings. You really can not do much better than this place. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile was its long-term care score. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Palm Garden of Pinellas
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.21429 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility has earned near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Palm Garden of Pinellas?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving a resident more often.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed ended up being this facility's weakest category. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still gave it a respectable grade of C for our short-term care category. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more critical for residents requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Palm Garden of Pinellas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 2.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 94.94% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Palm Garden of Pinellas, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Largo, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Largo, Florida has 4 other nursing homes
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Bay Breeze Dialysis Clinic Inc0.55 miles away11550 Ulmerton Rd Largo Florida 33778CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 584-4047
- Rai Care Centers - Largo2.22 miles away12505 Starkey Rd Suite B Largo Florida 33773Dialysis Stations: 21 (727) 531-8227
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater2.73 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center3.19 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies3.19 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC3.34 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490
- Lake Seminole Dialysis4.23 miles away10799 Park Blvd North Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 319-0180
- Seminole Dialysis Center4.89 miles away6450 Seminole Blvd Seminole Florida 33772Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 393-5551