Our Lady of Perpetual He is a small non-profit nursing home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A grade in this range requires quality scores in most areas. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Virginia Beach. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Our Lady of Perpetual He
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4560 Princess Anne Road,
Virginia Beach VA 23462
91% estimated occupancy 1
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall score, we gave this place an A for the area of inspections. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Our nursing grade is largely tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Our Lady of Perpetual He?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded an impressive short-term care score. In fact, we gave it an above average score of B in this area. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area is long-term care, which is the last category we looked at. For this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of just D. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Our Lady of Perpetual He Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 3.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 91.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 9.51 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 9.7 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Fmc - Virginia Beach1.12 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis1.36 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.87 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Davita - Virginia Beach3.61 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Davita Kempsville Dialysis3.64 miles away1920 Centerville Turnpike Suite 122 Virginia Beach Virginia 23464Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 502-0360
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.87 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.96 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis4.12 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422