Our Lady of Perpetual He is a small non-profit nursing home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the highest ratings that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires excellent scores across the board. If you take a look at the other options in Virginia Beach, we are confident you will find this nursing home to be a better option than most of the nursing homes in the city. As you will find below, this nursing home also performed well in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Our Lady of Perpetual He
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Virginia Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility performed well in the area of inspections, where it received an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Nursing ratings are mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Our Lady of Perpetual He?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. Contributing to its superb resume, this nursing home also performed well in this area. In fact, we gave it a of A- in that area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a strong grade of B. With our short-term care score, we seek to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Our Lady of Perpetual He Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 7.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 3.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. More supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 9.17% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 14.68% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 32.94% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 18.18% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 20.03% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Our Lady of Perpetual He, 20.03% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 9.51 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 9.7 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Fmc - Virginia Beach1.12 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis1.36 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.87 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Davita - Virginia Beach3.61 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Davita Kempsville Dialysis3.64 miles away1920 Centerville Turnpike Suite 122 Virginia Beach Virginia 23464Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 502-0360
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.87 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.96 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis4.12 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422