Otterbein Union Township is a small non-profit nursing home in Batavia, Ohio. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a relatively poor facility. In our view, we'd be very reluctant to recommend this place. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Otterbein Union Township
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
1114 Neighborhood Drive,
Batavia OH 45103
95.33% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Batavia, Ohio Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Batavia, Ohio Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent grade in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that have too many deficiencies. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area was short-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this area. Our short-term care scores are probably more critical for folks needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 5.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Otterbein Union Township?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's third highest score is long-term care. However, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared somewhat poorly. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.63314 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
The last area we graded is nursing. This facility received a very poor grade of F in that category. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Otterbein Union Township Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Otterbein Union Township, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Otterbein Union Township, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Otterbein Union Township, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Otterbein Union Township, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Otterbein Union Township, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Otterbein Union Township, 21.39% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Otterbein Union Township, 88.91% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Otterbein Union Township, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Otterbein Union Township, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Otterbein Union Township, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Otterbein Union Township, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Otterbein Union Township, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 16.24 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 18.03 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 18.68 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 18.73 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.83 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.81 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Batavia Dialysis1.11 miles away4000 Golden Age Drive Batavia Ohio 45103Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 735-0700
- Davita - Ohio Pike Dialysis4.41 miles away1761 State Route 125, Suite G Amelia Ohio 45102Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 797-0713
- Davita - Eastgate Dialysis6.55 miles away4435 Aicholtz Road, Suite 800a Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 752-5544
- Targhee Dialysis LLC6.7 miles away4435 Aicholtz Drive, Suite 800b Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 752-8301
- Dialysis Clinic Inc8.16 miles away4600 Beechwood Rd., Suite 900 Cincinnati Ohio 45244Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 528-3222
- Davita - Clermont Inc9.66 miles away5901 Montclair Blvd, Suite 100 Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 248-0593
- Fmc-Milford LLC9.72 miles away5890 Meadow Creek Drive Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 248-1690
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis10.1 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400