Otterbein Union Township is a small non-profit nursing home in Batavia, Ohio. After receiving an overall rating of A, this nursing home is one of the most elite nursing homes we found. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the country. We also gave this facility strong grades in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Otterbein Union Township
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.08917 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Otterbein Union Township?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, we gave this facility a grade of A- for its short-term care score. This is a superb grade. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The next area we graded is nursing, where this nursing home received a B. Although this proved to be its least impressive category rating, this is nevertheless an impressive score. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in determining our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Ohio in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Otterbein Union Township Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Otterbein Union Township, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term patients that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Otterbein Union Township, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients who had a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Otterbein Union Township, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Otterbein Union Township, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Otterbein Union Township, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Otterbein Union Township, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Otterbein Union Township, 90.19% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Otterbein Union Township, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Otterbein Union Township, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Otterbein Union Township, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Otterbein Union Township, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Otterbein Union Township, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Otterbein Union Township, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 15.65 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 16.24 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 18.03 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 18.68 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 18.73 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.83 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.81 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Davita - Batavia Dialysis1.11 miles away4000 Golden Age Drive Batavia Ohio 45103Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 735-0700
- Davita - Ohio Pike Dialysis4.41 miles away1761 State Route 125, Suite G Amelia Ohio 45102Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 797-0713
- Davita - Eastgate Dialysis6.55 miles away4435 Aicholtz Road, Suite 800a Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 752-5544
- Targhee Dialysis LLC6.7 miles away4435 Aicholtz Drive, Suite 800b Cincinnati Ohio 45245Dialysis Stations: 4 (513) 752-8301
- Dialysis Clinic Inc8.16 miles away4600 Beechwood Rd., Suite 900 Cincinnati Ohio 45244Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 528-3222
- Davita - Clermont Inc9.66 miles away5901 Montclair Blvd, Suite 100 Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 12 (513) 248-0593
- Fmc-Milford LLC9.72 miles away5890 Meadow Creek Drive Milford Ohio 45150Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 248-1690
- Davita - Anderson Dialysis10.1 miles away7502 State Road Suite, 1160 Cincinnati Ohio 45255CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 624-0400